Department of Anthropology – Individual Reading and Research Courses

Instructions for enrolling in courses ANT 1155H,Y, 1156H,Y, 1157H,Y, 1158H,Y

  1. Students who would like to enroll into an individual reading and research course in the Department of Anthropology must first contact the instructor with whom they would like to arrange a course. Only faculty holding a graduate appointment in the Department of Anthropology may direct the courses listed above.
  2. Courses can be taken in any term and courses can be weighted as either half-year courses (H) or full-year courses (Y). Course numbering is sequential – for your first independent study course in the department, start with ANT 1155 H or Y, for your second course use ANT 1156 H or Y and so on.
  3. The student is responsible for providing the Graduate Office with
    1. The form “Reading and/or Research Course” available on the SGS website: AND a one-page detailed course description, which must include a description of the course and a detailed list of course requirements, including: page-length of papers and deadlines for submission of coursework.
    2. Students will request these courses on ROSI, but this course requires the Graduate Coordinator’s approval. Therefore, students must submit their written requests (#3 above) to the Graduate Office by:
  • September 17, 2019 – for courses which begin in September 2019
  • January 14, 2020 – for courses which begin in January 2020
  • May 1, 2020– for courses which begin in May 2020
  • June 3, 2020 – for courses which begin in July 2020
  1. The Graduate Coordinator will review all requests. Approval for these courses will be updated for each student on ROSI.

For further information, please contact the Anthropology Graduate Office – 416-978-5416 or


  1. Only faculty holding a graduate appointment may direct a reading and/or research course for a student. The faculty member must hold a graduate faculty appointment in the department where the course is being offered.
  2. Reading and/or research courses should normally be taken in the student’s home graduate unit. The student is responsible for providing the course description.
  3. Normally both the student and the instructor should be on-campus. If it is necessary for a student to be off-campus to carry out research, the approval of the instructor and Graduate Coordinator must be obtained before leaving.
  4. A reading course should involve as much reading and work as a normal seminar or other type of graduate course, and the frequency of meeting of instructor and student should also be consistent with other courses. Written work should be a requirement of reading courses.
  5. The title of the reading and/or research course must be indicated on the SGS Enrolment Form for the student’s academic record. The completed form must be retained in the student file.
  6. Reading and/or research courses are subject to the Grading Practices Policy in the same way as any other course.