|Site Name: MacMurchy|
|Borden No.: BcHb-26|
|Research Date: 1953|
The MacMurchy Site - A Petun Village
The MacMurchy site was a two to three-acre village on the banks of Silver Creek near the west edge of Collingwood. It was excavated by a summer field crew under the direction of Douglas Bell in 1953. MacMurchy has been identified as a Petun village. European trade goods were found on the site.
The Petun were an Iroquoian-speaking agricultural people who were closely related to the Huron. They lived in the Collingwood area from AD 1580-1650. Champlain visited them in 1616. He told of ten villages and named the people who lived there the 'Petun' or Tobacco People. In 1639, the Jesuits established missions to the Petun. They wrote that the Petun belonged to two Nations, the southern 'Wolf' nation and the northern 'Deer' nation. The MacMurchy site is an early Deer nation site.
A recent study of the metal trade goods from Petun sites (C. Walker et al, 1999) indicates that the people of the MacMurchy site were trading closely with the southern Petun Glebe site. The authors believe that both MacMurchy and Glebe seem to have been important villages, based on their analysis of the metal trade goods.