Don't Forget to Keep Your Confirmation Code!
Once you pass this quiz, you will receive a confirmation code. You must include this confirmation code on the first page of your assignment. You must do this twice: once for the draft essay assignment, and once for the final essay. If you do not do so, you will receive a grade deduction.
True or False
- I have read the course web page about plagiarism.
- To avoid plagiarizing, it is alright to paraphrase a text by copying it from somewhere else, and then putting my own words inside or around the passage that I copied.
- It is OK to copy text, then put my own words inside or around it, as long as I cite the source where I got the text.
- It is OK to use someone else’s ideas without copying their words, as long as I cite where I got those ideas.
- In this course, there are restrictions on using direct quotations.
- My essay will be deemed plagiarism-free if my Turnitin score is lower than a certain percentage.
Case Study: Recognizing Plagiarism
Nancy is writing an essay about plagiarism, and must properly reference texts in her assignment. Read the following passages about Nancy's situation and then answer the questions about them.
Passage A - This passage was published in a text other than Nancy’s paper (Colmar 2017:49):
If caught using “disguised copying,” I promise not to argue that I did not know what I was doing (although not knowing what I was doing will in any case not exempt me from the consequences if I plagiarize). I know that if I do not use “disguised copying” or otherwise copy words from somewhere else into my essay, then I don’t need to worry about accidental plagiarism (it does not happen) and I can relax and enjoy writing my essay.
Passage B - This passage was found in Nancy's draft essay:
If I am accused of “disguised copying,” I promise that I will not argue that I did not know what I was doing. Also, I know that if I did not use “disguised copying” or otherwise copy words from elsewhere into my essay, then I won’t need to worry about plagiarizing by accident. I can just have fun and enjoy writing my essay, and focus only on what I am saying (Colmar 2017:49).
Passage C - This passage was found in Nancy's final essay:
I’ve been given information about “disguised copying,” and I know that it won’t help to argue that I didn’t know about it if I use this way of “paraphrasing” in my paper. I also know that it’s impossible to plagiarize by accident, so I am not going to worry about plagiarism all the time as I write my essay (Colmar 2017:49).
- Did Nancy commit plagiarism in Passage B?
- Did Nancy commit plagiarism again in Passage C?
- What did Nancy do between in the revision process between her draft essay and the final essay?