Black Creek

Site Name: Black Creek
Borden No.: AkGv-11
County: York
Township: North York
Culture: Late Iroquoian
Research Date: Fall 1948


The Location of the Black Creek Site

The Black Creek site is located in the Humber valley about two kilometres south of the Downsview site and five kilometres south of the Parsons site. It is in an unusual setting for an Iroquoian site in that it is located on a low terrace of the Black Creek floodplain.

Dr. Emerson's excavations revealed evidence of an unusual double palisade along the west side of the site, facing the creek. The palisade walls were placed on the sloping bank, one at the base of the slope and the other about 3 metres back, half way up the incline.


bc.jpg (1121755 bytes)

What's in a Name?

When the Black Creek site was excavated in the late 1940s, archaeological sites in Ontario were identified only by name. The Black Creek site was one of three sites excavated in close proximity in the Humber Valley and within a few years of each other. When the second site was excavated in 1950, it was called Black Creek II, so the first site became Black Creek I. The Black Creek II site was also called the Downsview site (see Downsview page), the Cockshutt Estate site, and it was referred to as the Snowflake site because it was excavated in the snow. As you can imagine, this can lead to some confusion in sorting out the records and photographs a half a century later!

By 1967, the Borden system was beginning to be applied to Ontario sites by some institutions including the University of Toronto and the Ontario Archaeological Society. This combination of letters and a number gives the location of a site within an approximately 13km (E-W) by 18.5km (N-S) block anywhere in Canada and indicates in what order the sites in each block were registered. This means that no matter how many names a site might have, it should only have one Borden number!